How does a sit to standing desk work?
As the name suggests, a sit to standing desk enables people to work comfortably while seated or standing up. Most desks are fully adjustable, so you can effortlessly move your work surface to match your preferred height.
Conveniently, our “smart” desks don’t require fiddling with screws or struggling to find the right height every time you want to change positions. All it takes is one touch of a button to shift your electric elevator desk to one of your chosen pre-set heights.
What makes FIL Furniture’s desks eco-friendly?
Many modern desks are made from melamine, a human-made compound full of chemicals. Melamine is far from eco-friendly: the manufacturing process produces chemical waste and toxic fumes.
In contrast, FIL Furniture’s exclusive sit to stand desk range is sustainably produced and eco-friendly. Some of our models, such as the Elevator 1200L or 1500L Desks, use desktops made of rubberwood, a durable, flexible timber sourced from rubber trees that no longer produce latex.
Previously, these rubber trees would have been burnt after becoming non-productive, adding to air pollution and becoming wasted product. Now, many of the trees are harvested instead and used to create furniture – such as our desks!
Where rubberwood is not used, we fulfil our environmental responsibilities by using upcycled enviro tops, as in our Enviro 1200L Lift Desk. In this case, we upcycle second-hand commercial grade office furniture. This prevents perfectly good furniture from ending up in landfill, and means we don’t need to expend resources creating brand new materials.
The benefits of a sit and standing desk
We all know the benefits of exercise, but often don’t give thought to the consequences of spending much of our days sitting down.
However, recent research has revealed that all those hours sitting down may present a significant threat to your health and wellbeing. Some health experts have even gone so far as to say that sitting is the new smoking.
Even more worrying is that doing some exercise after work or on the weekend isn’t enough to offset the problems caused by being motionless for most of the week.
Luckily, the mere act of spending at least some of your working day on your feet can make a world of difference to your mental and physical wellbeing. Here’s how:
- Lower risk of weight gain and obesity – standing up burns more calories than sitting down. Over the course of a week, you could burn an extra 1000 calories just by giving yourself a break from the chair.
- Decrease blood sugar levels – studies have shown that standing for varied amounts of time – particularly after a meal – reduces blood sugar spikes by 1 percent on average.
- Reduced heart disease risk – your heart has to work a little harder when you are standing up, which is a good thing! It’s thought that prolonged time sitting down can increase the risk of heart disease by a staggering 147 percent.
- Reduce back and neck pain – sitting in one position is sure to bring on neck and backaches, but using a standing desk could be the cure. Improvements in lower and upper back pain and neck pain were reported by research participants after transitioning to a sit to standing desk.
- Improved mood and energy levels – it may sound counterintuitive, but those who use sit to stand desks often experience increased energy and focus.
- Boost productivity – if you are feeling less fatigued, less stressed, and less achy, your productivity will naturally increase! Although it may take a little time to adjust to your new way of working, your typical work tasks won’t be affected.
The convenience of sit and standing desks
FIL Furniture’s range of sit and stand desks are affordable, ergonomic, easy to assemble, and ideal for working from home or in the office. They don’t take up much space but can make a world of difference to your health and productivity.
Additionally, the eco-friendly manufacturing and upcycling processes used to create our desks help you and your business maintain a smaller environmental footprint and operate sustainably.
If you are interested in introducing all these benefits to your workplace, then check out the range of sit and stand desks available here.